Sadly Medicare does not cover stairlifts. Stairlifts currently are not considered a medical necessity. However, there are alternative options!
I would like to note that these are options are not just for the residence of Los Angeles County, Ventura County and Orange county but, some are location based.
1) Veteran's Administration: Provides financial assistance to US veterans to assist with paying for their stair lift. Find out if you qualify for assistance by calling 1-877-222-VETS. Here are two links to help you further understand the HISA program.
Link one http://www.va.gov/hac/factsheets/fmp/FactSheet02-05.pdf
Link two http://www.prosthetics.va.gov/psas/HISA2.asp
2) Area Agency on Aging: Funds may be available from the Older Americans Act Title III to help local seniors install stair lifts. Call 1-800-677-1116. I called this number and had to wait between 15 and 30 minutes until I was directed to someone who gave me numbers to other places. This number is simply the first step of many which is why it is so important to start this process EARLY!
3) FHA (Federal Housing Administration): The FHA provides loans to help pay for your stair lift out of a mortgage insurance program. For more information, call 202-708-1112.
4) Jewish free loans. http://www.jfla.org/ You DO NOT HAVE TO BE JEWISH. Interest-free. If you receive a loan from JFLA, you pay back exactly the amount you received. There are no fees or extra charges. You must have two cosigners. Married couples are considered one cosigner, therefore they cannot each be counted as a cosigner. Couples must show proof of legal separation to be considered as two separate cosigners.
5) Companies that sell stair lifts: Stair lift companies may offer payment plans, or discounts on used merchandise. At Look Stairchairs we do offer used straight units when we have them in stock for those less fortunate.
6) Digital Federal Credit Union: Offers special loans to people with disabilities. Visit www.DCU.org to see if you qualify for assistance.
7) Tax Credits: You can deduct out-of-pocket costs for medical necessities on your federal income taxes. Get a letter from your family physician, and keep a copy of your prescription in your filing cabinet.
8) Medical Insurance: Some medical insurance policies are written to include medical necessities, such as stairlifts. Contact your insurance provider for more information.
9) is a list of links that are also very helpful! If the link dose not work simply copy and past it into your URL box above.